Breast and Nipple Care During Breastfeeding
This page is our breast care guide, including tips about cleaning and preparing your breasts and nipples for a breastfeeding session. This page will also give information about avoiding cracked and painful nipples during breastfeeding.
Breast Care Information
- You can care for your breasts after breastfeeding by rinsing them with clean water to wash away any saliva, and then you can apply some of your breast milk or nipple cream and allow them to air dry.
- Avoid wearing clothing that prevents your breasts from breathing. Cotton bras are the best while breastfeeding because they air dry quickly, preventing harmful bacteria growth.
- Change your nursing pads often. Wet pads are the breeding place for germs that can cause yeast infections and mastitis.
- Breast care and hygiene: Do not use soaps, alcohol, or lotions on your nipple area, as this could cause them to dry out and crack. Also, keep other products like perfume, deodorants, or powders away from your nipple area.
- What about nipple care? It is unnecessary to wash your nipples before every feeding unless you have used special ointments that are not recommended for a baby's consumption.
- Wear loose-fitted bras, and avoid wearing bras with underwiring, as this can cause blocked ducts and mastitis.
- How to prepare for breastfeeding during pregnancy
How Nipple Pain Can Be Avoided
- Latching on efficiently will prevent sore nipples. The baby should have the whole nipple, plus a large amount of the mother's areola, far back in their mouth.
- Find a breastfeeding position that is comfy for you and your baby. Your baby's body should be facing yours while breastfeeding; this makes it easier for your baby to breastfeed, reducing nipple pain.
- Do not pull your baby off the breast while breastfeeding; use your finger to break the suction in the corner of the mouth to stop breastfeeding.
- Learn about how to handle a baby biting while breastfeeding.
- Breastfeed your baby before they become cranky and demanding. If your baby is over-hungry, they might suck harder than usual, resulting in nipple pain.
Best Breast Care Health
- Breastfeeding preparation: do not use products you must wash off before your baby may breastfeed.
- Preferably use natural breast care products, like olive oil or your own breast milk.
- Lanolin cream is excellent for treating sore nipples. Lanolin does not need to be washed off before feedings.
When you Need to Get Help
- If you cannot get rid of engorgement or a blocked duct.
- If you have a fever or any other flu symptoms.