Low milk supply is one of the most common breastfeeding concerns. The best way to increase milk supply is to breastfeed frequently and on demand, drinking lots of liquid and making sure that you get enough sleep!
Does lactation tea work? For various reasons, an abundance of milk is not always possible for some nursing moms. Sometimes all that is needed is something like mothers milk lactation tea, which can help establish breastfeeding when it would not have been possible. So, yes, mothers tea can also help maintain an extended breastfeeding relationship, in the face of challenges.
Organic Mother's Milk Tea Ingredients
The herbs in mother's milk herbal tea can imitate female hormones, as it contains Phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens, which are plant estrogens, perform a lot like human estrogen.
This tea is a combination of herbs, namely: fennel, coriander, fenugreek, blessed thistle, and aniseed. These herbs are believed to increase or maintain a healthy milk supply.The tea tastes like black licorice, due to the aniseed, although different brands contain different ingredients.The tea is mostly said to have a “pleasantly aromatic balance of sweet, spicy and slightly bitter tastes."True mothers milk lactation tea is organic and does not contain any caffeine.
Does Mothers Milk Tea Work?
This tea does work for most mothers, but everyone is different. Most moms agree that they can see a direct effect of the tea on their milk supplies. Many mothers have reported that their babies have less gas and colic symptoms.
When to start drinking mother's milk tea?
Using mom milk tea
- How much mothers milk tea should I drink? For those mothers who notice a decrease in milk supply during menstruation. Two cups per day should be sufficient. For those mothers who need a little milk boost for night feedings, 1 cup of tea in the evening should be sufficient.
- If you or your baby has been sick and you have noticed a decrease in supply due to medication, or change in nursing frequency. Three cups of tea per day can be taken.
- How quickly will mother's milk tea work? Some moms find that it takes a few days for the tea to start working, but once the tea starts doing its job, a mother can use the tea during the whole duration of the breastfeeding period (up to two or three years).
- The tea should steep uncovered for at least 10 minutes before drinking..
- Some honey or sugar can be added to taste.
- Drink just before nursing.
If you feel that you have a true milk supply deficiency, then you will need to take the tea in conjunction with other herbs. Consider the following pages on low milk supply:
- Increase breast milk production with breast compressions.
- Low milk supply advice.
- Latching on properly.
- Lactogenic foods.
Make your Breastmilk Tea for Increasing Supply.
Lactation tea recipe 1.
- 1 ounce dried Borage leaves or Blessed thistle.
- 1 ounce dried Raspberry leaves or Nettle leaves.
- 1 tsp anise or Coriander seeds.
Put the herbs in a gallon jar filled with boiling water. Steep overnight with the jar closed.
Strain the herbs and refrigerate the liquid. When needed, you can pour off a cup and boil. Then pour the herb mixture over the 1 tsp. of anise or coriander seeds. Allow steeping for 5 minutes before drinking. You can drink this breast milk tea as often as needed.
- 1 tsp of Fennel.
- 1 tsp of Cumin.
- 1tsp of Dill.
Steep in 8oz boiling water for 20 minutes. Drink one cup, three times per day. Mothers usually see results within 24 hours. Some mothers may find that they need to increase the amount to four cups per day.
- If your mother s milk tea contains Fenugreek, watch out for a dip in blood sugar levels. Mothers who have diabetes should be careful when taking anything containing fenugreek.
- Some mothers will need to discontinue use of a nursing tea if they find that their milk supply is increasing too much. Remember an oversupply of milk can also cause problems. Sometimes it is best to use the tea only until you have increased your supply.
- Some herbs may interact with other medications, so first, talk to your doctor before taking mother milk tea in combination with any other drugs.